Changing Your Child Custody, Parenting Or Support Order

When your divorce is finalized, the judge issues a divorce decree, which is a court order. Any agreement you and your spouse reach, including the provisions you made for custody and visitation, financial support for your child or support for a spouse, if it was awarded, become part of that decree.

Whether you reached an agreement or the judge resolved the issues, however, the decision was based on the circumstances that existed at the time of the divorce. When your circumstances change substantially, you may be able to request a modification to the court orders to reflect the current situation.

Seeking Help From Someone Who Knows Best

There are specific requirements that must be met in order to request a modification, and the law in these cases can be quite complex. It is important to have an experienced divorce attorney on your side who knows the law and understands what makes for a strong argument for the changes you need.

At the law firm of Michelle A. Barry, P.A., in Longwood, Florida, we have helped clients throughout Central Florida and across the state obtain the post-divorce modifications they have needed to change their parenting plans and child or spousal support orders.

Do you need answers to your questions before retaining our services? Check out our FAQ pages to learn more about family law.

Protecting Your Interests At All Times

One of the most important things to understand about modifications is that if they are granted, the changes are only retroactive to the date of the request, not the date of the actual change in your circumstances. If you are paying child support and have lost your job, for example, it is critical that you contact an attorney immediately to make a request for modification. If you wait three months to make the request, you would still be responsible for the past three months of payments.

Attorney Michelle A. Barry prides herself on the personalized service she provides to each client. You can rely on her for honest communication and a prompt response when you need her. She returns all phone calls within 48 hours and will frequently follow up with you the same day.

We handle all types of modification requests, whether they are triggered by a parental relocation, allegations of violence and abuse, the loss of a job or any other significant change in circumstances. We can help you get changes to:

  • Custody and visitation arrangements
  • Parenting plans and time-sharing agreements
  • Child support (parental responsibility) obligations — including increases and decreases
  • Alimony or spousal support orders

Schedule Your Initial Consultation Today

To talk to a lawyer at our firm or to retain our services, contact us online or call 407-622-4529 (toll free 888-351-8303). We are available during regular business hours and by appointment. A free 15-minute initial telephone consultation is available to discuss your case. Email documents to us prior to a call for the most beneficial use of your time. In-person consultations are available at a reduced rate that will be put toward a retainer. We accept all major credit cards for your convenience.