Questions About Family Law Matters? Call Attorney Michelle A Barry.

The law firm of Michelle A. Barry, P.A., is committed to providing strong representation in family law matters throughout Central Florida and across the state. The following are some of the frequently asked questions we get concerning general family law topics:

How Will Accusations Of Domestic Violence Affect My Divorce Proceeding?

Issues involving domestic violence need to be addressed immediately. If you are the victim of domestic abuse, it is important to seek help from an attorney. We can help you get a protective injunction or a restraining order against your abuser. This should provide you and your family with some form of protection.

If you have been falsely accused of spousal abuse, your child custody, visitation and other rights may be impacted immediately. In either case, we can let you know what type of effect these cases are likely to have on your divorce proceeding and what steps you can take to ensure your interests remain protected.

What Is Supervised Visitation?

Supervised visitation is designed to allow parents who are experiencing some sort of personal turmoil to maintain a relationship with their children. It typically involves some sort of third party being present during parenting time. It is often ordered when one parent is concerned that his or her children will be endangered if left alone with the other parent. It is a common occurrence if one parent is struggling with drugs, alcohol or some other personal issue. We can help answer any specific questions you may have about this process.

What Are Mediation And Collaborative Law?

Mediation and collaborative law are two different means of alternative dispute resolution, as opposed to going to court in a traditional divorce case. In mediation, an attorney serves as an impartial third party, helping couples outline their disputes and working toward an agreement.

In collaborative law, you and your spouse would each have separate legal representation and all parties would meet to try and reach an agreement. Both of these processes are often less expensive and time-consuming than a traditional divorce. We can let you know whether either option would be worth pursuing in your case.

Is It Possible To Modify A Divorce Agreement?

A divorce agreement is not necessarily set in stone. Certain provisions, such as those for child custody, child support and alimony are subject to modification if one party has experienced a substantial change in circumstances after the agreement was finalized. Whether you are seeking a modification or if your ex is attempting to change the terms of the agreement, our lawyer can help.

Do I Need An Attorney If I Want To Change My Name?

Name changes are a relatively straightforward process. As a result, many people think they can navigate this process on their own. The fact is, the required paperwork is still complex. When you are making changes to something that will help to define your identity, it is important to get it right. We can help ensure that everything is taken care of properly the first time.

How Is Establishing Paternity Going To Help Me Or My Child?

Making a proper paternity determination can benefit both the mother and father, as well as the child in question. As a mother, establishing paternity can enable you to seek child support from the father. As a father, establishing paternity can enable you to assert your rights as a father. The child benefits by receiving financial and/or emotional support from the father. No matter which side you are on, we can help protect your interests in paternity matters.

Do I Really Need A Prenuptial Agreement?

Many people think that prenuptial agreements only apply to the rich and famous. Others are concerned that a prenup acknowledges that a marriage is doomed to fail. The fact is, a prenuptial agreement is a valuable tool for protecting the assets that you are bringing into a marriage. It is best thought of as a type of insurance policy. You hope that you will never have to use it, but you will be thankful that it is there should the unthinkable ever occur.

Contact Our Lawyer With More Questions

We are happy to answer any further questions you may have regarding family law matters. Call our Longwood office today at 407-622-4529 (toll free 888-351-8303) or contact us online.

A free 15-minute initial telephone consultation is available to discuss your case. Email documents to us prior to a call for the most beneficial use of your time. In-person consultations are available at a reduced rate that will be put toward a retainer.