Love Is Not Enough: You Need Legal Parenting Authority

Although you love your son or daughter, you can't make him or her a perfect parent. If your adult child is in jail, is dealing with substance abuse or has other issues, you may need to step in and help raise your grandchildren.

At the law firm of Michelle A. Barry, P.A., we assist Florida clients with all types of child custody and visitation concerns, including getting temporary custody of children for grandparents and other family members.

Gaining The Legal Authority You Need

Although you may be tempted to simply take your grandchildren into your home, following proper legal procedure is important. When it comes time to enroll them in school, you must have a court order. When they get sick and you take them to the doctor, you must have the legal ability to authorize treatment.

To gain the legal standing you need to care for your grandchildren, you must petition the court for custody. If the father is known, he must be notified as well so that he has the chance to act on his parental rights. The court will then decide whether or not to temporarily award you parental control.

Well-versed in all areas of family law, attorney Michelle A. Barry can fully explain the process of requesting temporary custody in an emergency. Whether the emergency arose because of suspicion of neglect or because of other forms of abuse, we will advocate on your behalf and do what's best for the child.

How Long Does Temporary Custody Last?

Temporary custody may last until further order of the court, or it may end on a specific day, such as at the end of six months or a year. Sometimes the order lasts indefinitely until one parent petitions the court to release the children back to him or her. If a parent turns him- or herself around and becomes capable of providing adequate care, he or she always has the right to request custody again.

Learn More During A Consultation With A Lawyer

Discover how the law firm of Michelle A. Barry, P.A., can make a difference in temporary custody cases involving extended family members. To arrange an initial consultation, call us at 407-622-4529 (toll free 888-351-8303) or send us an email. A free 15-minute initial telephone consultation is available to discuss your case. Email documents to us prior to a call for the most beneficial use of your time. In-person consultations are available at a reduced rate that will be put toward a retainer. For your convenience, we accept credit cards.